Thanks to Tim, I bring you a special LANGUAGE EDITION of 'buncha links noone clicks.' (I did that noone on purpose, because I like it better than no one.)
- This splendiferous volume of vocabularial lore urges the opposition to grandiloquent and over-loquacious language as a means, a style, a way -- a method, if you will - of sounding intelligent, intellectual, informed or, to put it mildly, smart. It is my humble and personal opinion, judgement, estimation etc. that it is not the size, or the resplendency, or the ornamentation of the words you use, but the elegancy - the musicality of words and tones that make your words, your speech, your explanational voice the shining gem of wit and wisdom it has the potential to be. So, uh, read it.
- I hope you notice that I'm putting commentary under each of the links nowadays. I figure that this is blogspot, not tumblr, and that since I have an opinion on gorram nearly everything, that this would be the perfect forum to venture them in a way that does not allow interruption, with stimulus and material provided by the link along.
- Pi Pie! Its Pie, with Pi! (And they were singing, Pi Pie, miss American... )
- This points out the humour involved in stating the obvious. That blog post quotation bears uncanny resemblance to mine own Pedantry post a few weeks ago. Like, really close. What have I become? ALSO: one of the comments on the Blog post in question is: "I never meta-incendiary blog post I didn’t like. " Laugh out loud.\
Now: Speech writing/studying! (I am actually annoyed at the English department for making such a time-intensive assignment. All the components take many hours to do, and thanks to their objective 'do this at home and pass' nature, they are more attractive to do, as they are more concrete than 'learn an indeterminate amount of stuff about X and hope that your particular X-stuff is in the exam.' So we spend lots of time on it, and not as much, y'know, studying. I have crossed out and re-scheduled study twice now to make room for English stuff, both for myself and - because of my generous nature - other people. I don't think you're supposed to put so much stuff inside parentheses. Oh well.)
No comments:
Post a Comment