Sunday, March 7, 2010

Short story idea exchange

IDEA: Story begins with some witty young japer (WHO IS TOTES NOT BASED ON ME) who jokes and witters with other schoolly type folk. He asks whether he could go to a party with them, and they all look uncomfortable and say that it was cancelled. Turns out it wasn’t cancelled. Our protagonist mopes and moans, but then witchcraft happens and it turns out he was accepted all along. A witty line from the start is repeated to him, which in light of his adventures takes on a new poignancy.

PROBLEMS: MAY NEED TO REPLACE WITCHCRAFT WITH PLOT. Also too long and convoluted, and I need to think me up some witticisms.


Hmm. Alright, I wrote this a month ago, but on re-examining it, the plot is functionally identical to Genvin and Stephen's one. Look, I just went to the TvTropes page on Brick Joke and thought: "Hmm. This would be an effective technique to use in a belonging text, when coupled with juxtaposition. It would act to point out the change of relationships in a story easily without such drastic measures as writing well."


Other than that, I am totally boned for this short story crap, because I haven't listened to Mr Wenban speak for like a month because I thought all he was talking about was build up to analysing Strictly Ballroom, instead of actual content. He never actually analysed Strictly Ballroom, either.


IN OTHER NEWS


I'm actually hoping to attract comments with this one, guys! Don't let me down!

No comments:

Post a Comment