
Naw, but really guys: we're actually about CLARITY. If your sentence makes sense while mistaking conjunctions for possessive pronouns, then upon technical analysis, its open to ambiguity.
Ambiguity, you guys!
Where would you get the idea that we're about belittling, berating other people over trifling matters or policing everyday conversation? Gosh! That would be fascist!
No, but seriously, pedantic people just have issues with self-esteem that they take out on other people through the unwarranted application of arbitrary and arcane rules that apply only in formal exchanges, foisted onto regular conversation. It's like going into McDonald and asking for cutlery.
Interestingly, I've only read one essay by Stephen Fry and a chapter in Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue on this topic, yet there's a whole school of linguistics that agrees with me.
I guess that implies that I must be, um... right.
2 comments:
You will probably like this blog:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/
It's a last resort when people get raped in e-arguments.
And by last resort, I mean idiots use it because they're unable to back their opinions.
Post a Comment