Remember the stress-fest that was Senior Science?
Well, yesterday, I got the answers back. It's true, I did do well, but there was one question that bugged me.
"Where should you put a communication satellite for television broadcasts between Australia and New Zealand?"
Easy! Around the equator at a distance of 35,000-37,000 km, so it is in line-of-sight of both countries as well as stationary relative to the ground. Simple as that, and that is more or less what I wrote.
I got marked down, however, because I said "around" the equator at a height of 35,000-37,000 km, instead of "above" the equator, at a height of 35,000-37,000 km.
In other words, I got marked UP for knowing the height of the satellite, but DOWN for not knowing that the satellite was at a height. Now I am no expert when it comes to naming the most petty mark-loss in human history, BUT I CAN'T BE TOO FAR OFF THE RECORD.
5 comments:
If it's any consolation to you, Brendan, I once got 19.5 out of 20 for an essay in 2nd year uni, and when I asked where I lost the 1/2 mark, my lecturer said "No one gets 100%"
So there you go, I got marked down for literally NO reason! :P
I've seen plenty worse, at our school.
Like?
This is in chemistry (question was on calculating pH):
*blahblahblahotherworking*
pH=-log_10_[H^+]=-log_10_(some number)=(answer)
Lost a mark because ph=(answer) should have been on a new line.
...
Okay, you win.
Post a Comment