Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I updated the theme... again.

I wanted a bit of colour in the site, beyond white and occasional glimpses of orange. So I tried to get the whole sidebar orange, but that... didn't work out. I also wanted the writing to fill yet more of the screen, so I got the codes for the 'Minima Stretch' template and the 'Rounders' template, spliced the two together whilst cackling wildly and then spent the rest of the evening dealing with the fallout.

Y'see, I wanted Rounders because of the colour in the sidebar (even if only in the profile box,) but I didn't want the anorexic-thin text space. But the Rounders 'Rounders' could not be easily dislodged, and even after I widened the text, they were still there behind it, mocking my futile attempts to remove them. I spent hours picking the html apart, before finding that the pictures for the bubbles were in fact links to off-site pictures. So I simply rubbished the URLs and was done with it.

But then I still had the problem that there were these dotted lines separating the title from the date from the text to the comments to the title of the one below and so on, which were really ugly. My site looked like it was due for plastic surgery. I changed it to be blank by changing all mentions of the word 'dotted' to 'doted,' messing up the Html, but it looked plain and boring. Instead, I changed all mentions of the word 'doted' to 'solid,' which - seemingly impossibly - was uglier than the first one. So you get plain and boring.

Oh, yeah. The borders of the header are missing, except on the 'pick a colour' screen. The header pic looks ugly and bare without them. I probably made things worse when I copypasta'd the whole 'header' chunk of code from Minima Stretch into the Frankentemplate, which didn't seem to change anything, but probably killed everything for you guys in some way that my past-midnight brain can't notice or fix.

But other than all the things I've just pointed out, what do you guys think? (You have permission to bitch about the whole site theme, not just the bits I botched up doing this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment