EDIT: I hope this doesn't count as my 100th post, but I'm updating this to include this.

- An answer to a question asked. How profitable are the various forms of music propagation, assuming musos are happy earning minimum wage? This profitable.
- New Scientist pushes human bodies TO THE LIMIT!!! via a series of non-contact thought experiments. Things like 'What is the human speed limit,' and 'How long could we concentrate for.' Well worth a read.
- A message we can all stand behind: mocking Twitter users via drawings of their posts.
- Learn yourselves some FACTS about statistics. Specifically how they can be misused, and how it's sometimes difficult to draw meaning from them. Christ, it's 1000 words. It's not like you'll be up all night.
- The music of the spheres - literally. This little flash thing has given each of the planets a tone, told the program their orbital frequencies, and the interlocking of their different orbits creates music. Perhaps not a tune to hit the top ten, but haunting background music vaguely familiar to anyone who's played Spore at very least.
- I saw a documentary on Youtube about a 15-year-old who could make clicks with his tongue and use the subtle echoes to do such things as run, play basketball and ride bikes. This is not that documentary, because I don't have the internet to be looking it up, but you can read all about Human Echolocation here.
- Me, James, Alusha, Tom, Laura and Joe entered the 7-10 trivia night. Despite the fact that we were collectively 12 years older than our nearest competitors (let alone the year 7's) we only won 113-111. That didn't stop us from getting all the prizes. Our team name was 'Trivial Capture', with the following tagline:
Most people play Trivial Pursuit.
Most people suck.
Most people suck.
I must say something on Boobquake here: it's freaking hilarious.
Basically, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, an Iranian cleric with an unpronounable name, said something stupid and sexist along the lines of 'immodest dress leads to earthquakes.' In response, scientifically minded women around the world decided to test Mr Cat-Keyboard's hypothesis by spending all of yesterday wearing their lowest-cut clothing.
Even more hilariously, a 6.5 earthquake occured in the ocean off Taiwan the day before Boobquake day, proving that Allah is not only mighty, prudish and existent - but also a little chronologically confused. I suppose anyone would get a little befuddled after 1400 years of not doing very much. (Disregarding the fact that some 150 earthquakes in that strength-vicinity occur yearly, giving a 37% chance for an earthquake to occur.)
But I will say that as a scientific experiment, it is terribly flawed. It's impossible to track all known variables, and besides: to be valid, they need to have a control planet.
Oh, and by researching that link up there, I found out the results: nothing happened! Golly-gosh, I bet Mr 'We'll just name our kid by randomly bashing keys' has egg all over his face now!
(Incidentally, today is the birthday of one Charles Richter - he of Scale fame.)
Basically, Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi, an Iranian cleric with an unpronounable name, said something stupid and sexist along the lines of 'immodest dress leads to earthquakes.' In response, scientifically minded women around the world decided to test Mr Cat-Keyboard's hypothesis by spending all of yesterday wearing their lowest-cut clothing.
Even more hilariously, a 6.5 earthquake occured in the ocean off Taiwan the day before Boobquake day, proving that Allah is not only mighty, prudish and existent - but also a little chronologically confused. I suppose anyone would get a little befuddled after 1400 years of not doing very much. (Disregarding the fact that some 150 earthquakes in that strength-vicinity occur yearly, giving a 37% chance for an earthquake to occur.)
But I will say that as a scientific experiment, it is terribly flawed. It's impossible to track all known variables, and besides: to be valid, they need to have a control planet.
Oh, and by researching that link up there, I found out the results: nothing happened! Golly-gosh, I bet Mr 'We'll just name our kid by randomly bashing keys' has egg all over his face now!
(Incidentally, today is the birthday of one Charles Richter - he of Scale fame.)
No comments:
Post a Comment