Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thanks for coming. Now go somewhere else.



I'm going to the premiere of the play I was in last year tonight, so this will be quick as I can make it (while going through all my material.) More specifically, the second season of the play, directed by the batty cat woman who produced it last time instead of the brilliant and professional Heidi Lupprian. I've got free tickets, so I'm milking them for all they're worth.

*****

This collection of ye olde Inter-pretations of thine memes is humourous in its intent and execution, and verily worth the thirty seconds it takes thou to go through them. The key to it's success lies primarily in its usage of the Bayeau Tapestry.

And no. Nobody ever spoke or wrote like that ever. Forsooth.

(Did you know that 'bloody' as a swearword is derived from By The Lady, refering to the Virgin Mary? If you didn't, then it is likely that you are also unaware of the fact that 'goodbye' has descended like Charles Darwin's family tree from the phrase 'god-be-with-ye')

*****

A list of Celebrities and their original names. Apparently Whoopi Goldberg wasn't her birthname. Who knew? Same goes for Bono, although a chimp could have told you that.

To this list, I'd like to add Tim Allen - known to friends and family as Tim Allen Dick, his last name dropped because although it would have helped his comedy career along, it wouldn't have done wonders for when he branched out into acting.

*****


A question for artists: what would have happened if modern, contemporary artists went back in time and made art then? Here's one answer - they'd lock you up for being loopy.

DO WANT.

Mind you, the whole 'being totally bonkers' part probably forced their hand there a bit too.

*****

Check this shredding guitar!!

Now think how fragile and uncomfortable it would be. Let alone expensive, being handcrafted and all.

*****

An official survey by the US government has revealed how many nukes America has: 5,113.

How many Nukes could you possibly need? It seems they've been doing it wrong. If I was in charge of the US nuclear program, I'd figure out what I need a nuke for, then build it. Say one per Russian village or something. This process avoids monstrosities like a nuclear program capable of exploding the moon. There is absolutely no justification for any nation to be in control of that many nukes, considering the detonation of a tenth of that number (or, more specifically, less than 20) could finish any war you deign to start.

Because if you can't win a war by firing 20 nuclear warheads at their capital cities, then that is a war you do your very best to avoid. It is impossible for a war to exist where the 5,001st nuke fired means the balance between victory and defeat - unless America declares global thermonuclear war on microbial fucking organisms.

Oh right, I have ten minutes to go through the rest of this, excuse me, next link.

*****

ZOMGZ! This is an article by Stephen Hawking, the brainiest cripple alive!

Its terrible.

The science goes into considerable depth, but the prose seems - as I know it must have been - like it was written painstakingly over a course of many hours. It is dumbed down to an appropriate level for your average Daily Mail reader, but that isn't the problem with it. The article is a poignant reminder that Stephen Hawking - for all his brilliance - is a gravely ill man.

I think I read somewhere (rush rush) that he only has a few working muscles left in his body - his lungs and one of the muscles in his cheek. Don't take that at face value, because I can't properly remember.


*****

Some criticisms of Facebook's increasing willingness to sell your details to the highest bidder. I'm not overly concerned, because that comes part and parcel of being a citizen of the western world - that someone will screw you over for a buck. And all Facebook is doing is making the ads more contextual, which as privacy detail misuse is concerned is relatively benign - just don't click the ads, silly.

*****

Late for dinner, but I wrote all this between 5.05 and 5.44, so I rock sweet balls and can do no wrong, got to go bye!

*****

Copypasta description of play time!

It was alright. More of a focus on humour, and the acting wasn't as convincing. They changed the script around so the main character was reduced to a bit part in favour of the father. The ... See moreequivalent of my part was taken by a six foot four emo who played the character as an effeminate wuss.

The interesting bit was how different their take on it all was. They played all the lines and characters entirely differently.
NOW YOU KNOW.

*****

You can't say Venice without coming quite close to 'Very Nice.' But how nice is it?

The population is dwindling, not to mention sick to death of being asked where all the attractions are. Oh, and you know all those canals? A century ago, they only flooded a few times a year. Now they're constantly under water. This means that many first-floor houses are unusable and repair work is next to impossible because anything required needs to be taken there in a boat. Property prices are what you'd expect from living in Venice, the world's capital city of cultural cool, and a quarter of the local population is over 65. Twenty-five percent. For the native Venetians, life is difficult, expensive, and annoying.

For the tourism business, however, Venice is pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment