I have... quite a bit of progress before I'm at the point I want to be then. My ranks:
- Ancient History: 58% (22/24) Cumulative: 23/24
- Economics: 75% (19/40) Cumulative: 37/40
- English: Cumulative: 4/49
Written:40% (30/50)
- Maths: 90% (my ranking slip is an unreadable clump of paper. Why can't they make paper wash-proof?) It was high though. Top ten? Top five? I did well, anyhow.
- Modern History: 82% (12/18) Cumulative: 17/18
- Senior Science: 72% (18/63) Cumulative: 14/63
- History Extension: Unassessed, but also unstarted and uncertain about it as a course. Let's put me at the bottom of it for convenience sake.
*****
Which is why, after not much consideration and I'll probably back out of it in a jiffy knowing how un-self-disciplined I am, I've decided that for me, June is No-Internet-Month. As in NONE.
This blog takes several hours to write, as I usually write it in between other things. I also seem not to have enough study time in my day. On the other hand, it is time I wouldn't be spending working anyway. Or would I? Let's see.
You see, if I have nothing better to do, then I may study more. Or maybe if I'm not studying then I'm reading, or writing, or doing something else that is slightly more skill-building than being the sort of breezy person that goes around saying 'Yakawow.'
I chose June instead of this month because this month has already started and because the end of June is the beginning of the holidays. I figure that nice, simple targets - from June 1 to July 1 - will be easier to maintain then 'Alright, I'm going to stop using internet nnnnnnnnnow. Hmm, maybe tomorrow. Ah hell. Next week.'
It should be relatively easy: use up all my internet on May the thirty-first and then uninstall my phone-internet, to totally remove the temptation. I figure that restricting myself from internet now - just for a trial month - will prepare me for the actual Trial Month. The one that will get me from nought to sought, from zero to hero, from bowled to gold, from awful, artificial and amusing as they are defined today, to awful, artificial and amusing as apocryphally defined in the time of Queen Anne.
But anyway, I have 27 days of freedom left until my self-imposed internet-exile, so on with the show.
This blog takes several hours to write, as I usually write it in between other things. I also seem not to have enough study time in my day. On the other hand, it is time I wouldn't be spending working anyway. Or would I? Let's see.
You see, if I have nothing better to do, then I may study more. Or maybe if I'm not studying then I'm reading, or writing, or doing something else that is slightly more skill-building than being the sort of breezy person that goes around saying 'Yakawow.'
I chose June instead of this month because this month has already started and because the end of June is the beginning of the holidays. I figure that nice, simple targets - from June 1 to July 1 - will be easier to maintain then 'Alright, I'm going to stop using internet nnnnnnnnnow. Hmm, maybe tomorrow. Ah hell. Next week.'
It should be relatively easy: use up all my internet on May the thirty-first and then uninstall my phone-internet, to totally remove the temptation. I figure that restricting myself from internet now - just for a trial month - will prepare me for the actual Trial Month. The one that will get me from nought to sought, from zero to hero, from bowled to gold, from awful, artificial and amusing as they are defined today, to awful, artificial and amusing as apocryphally defined in the time of Queen Anne.
But anyway, I have 27 days of freedom left until my self-imposed internet-exile, so on with the show.
*****
I raised the point last week, but here it is raised again. Of course, when Terry Pratchet complains about Doctor Who, millions read on in fascinated awe. How does he do it?
He does raise a good point though. The Doctor doesn't really solve problems in any way that matters plotwise. He just shows up and waves his magic wa-- er, sonic screwdriver, while the minor cast look on, bedazzled and useless. Then the Doctor delivers epic justice, smiles charmingly, and leaves. The plot of every episode is a series of well written impediments to stop the Doctor from pressing some arbitrary Win Button.
But then again, its just a show, I should really just relax.
He does raise a good point though. The Doctor doesn't really solve problems in any way that matters plotwise. He just shows up and waves his magic wa-- er, sonic screwdriver, while the minor cast look on, bedazzled and useless. Then the Doctor delivers epic justice, smiles charmingly, and leaves. The plot of every episode is a series of well written impediments to stop the Doctor from pressing some arbitrary Win Button.
But then again, its just a show, I should really just relax.
*****
OMGZ, we found evidence that could under certain conditions validate some aspect of the minutae of our religious beliefs, therefore it is 99% certain to be the artefact in question.
What? You want to see it?
No, you can't see it. But it's there alright. If you sign this multi-million dollar book deal, I'll give you vague clues to its general direction.
Prove me wrong, nutjobs! Prove me wrong.
What? You want to see it?
No, you can't see it. But it's there alright. If you sign this multi-million dollar book deal, I'll give you vague clues to its general direction.
Prove me wrong, nutjobs! Prove me wrong.
*****
Speech recognition is really difficult. Anyone who's used one of those automated banking things could tell you that. But here's why.
Basically put, most of the things we say can't actually be distinguished from each other apart from by context - something that computers do not excel at. Just go to the link already, I'm tired.
Basically put, most of the things we say can't actually be distinguished from each other apart from by context - something that computers do not excel at. Just go to the link already, I'm tired.
*****
So xkcd has recently completed its Colour survey. Rather interesting, I guess. For instance: the most disproportionately common word among female subjects was 'Dusty Teal,' while the most disproportionately common word among men was 'Penis.'
Science: it works, bitches!
(I suppose I should congratulate Randall Munroe for doing something amusing and interesting for once. Seriously, did he have a co-writer when he started the comic? What happened to them? I want them back. Xkcdsucks is funnier and more interesting than the original comic at all times, and counter to the name, they are not uniformly negative. The most recent comic got a good review, for instance. Check out last Friday's contest, because the finalists are all really amusing.)
Science: it works, bitches!
(I suppose I should congratulate Randall Munroe for doing something amusing and interesting for once. Seriously, did he have a co-writer when he started the comic? What happened to them? I want them back. Xkcdsucks is funnier and more interesting than the original comic at all times, and counter to the name, they are not uniformly negative. The most recent comic got a good review, for instance. Check out last Friday's contest, because the finalists are all really amusing.)
No comments:
Post a Comment