Monday, May 24, 2010





Oh wait, I have a blog. Right.

This is pedantry, which means that to avoid being called a hypocrite, I shouldn't post it; then again, he's funny, so stick it. A common explanation is that the matter he's complaining about is sarcasm, and that it is indicative of a wry sense of humour. Then again, it features prominently in a verse of Pomplamoose's cover of Beyonce's "Single Ladies," a fact that somewhat undermines that hypothesis. (Both versions have the same verses; I just refuse to listen to the original so as to not spoil or sour the good version in my memory. I am nothing if not elitist.)

*****

Several Senators on the U.S. Senatorial banking committee have never used ATMs. I would find this hilarious if it weren't for the fact that many of our politicians here are of a similar vintage, which makes this terrifying.

*****

You would think that the most famous franchise of all time would have at very least a director's commentary or something. Seemingly not, as Harrison Ford recently revealed some of the corners cut by the production team during the production of The Empire Strikes Back. For instance: Chewbacca couldn't fit in the seat next to Han inside the Millenium Falcon, as he was 7"3'. Every shot you see of him there was edited in.

THE MORE YOU KNOW.

*****
When you find yourself away from all society and Nature calls, what do you do?

If you lived in the 18th century, you flipped open your handy History book, put your handy chamberpot into the concealed box, and did your business.

What? That's not at all more convenient than the alternative you say? Oh hush. They were endearingly quaint, and that's that.

*****

I think that this is a) A really cool idea; and b) Really cool. Mark Twain, the great American novelist (a title, by the way, that points to the fact that I haven't read any of his books) wrote 5,000 pages of autobiography in his last 4 years, with explicit instructions that it will not be published until the first centennary of his death. That date is drawing near, and scholars have looked at the manuscript for the first time.

At least one tome of it is a vitriolic condemnation of, well basically everybody. Laura Trombley calls it '400 pages of pure bile.' Cool, I guess.

*****

I hate the Hurlstone English Department with more hate than I ever thought possible.

Lets have a thought experiment. Two students, equal in every aspect, are due to sit a test. One of them is a boarder, and the test is on the Monday after a Closed Weekend. Both students study to their maximum permissible extent in the two weeks leading up to the test, then the boarder spends 8 hours being bused home, two days at home, then 5 hours being bused back again. That Friday and that Sunday are more or less useless.

Which student has the advantage?

Yeah. Hate.

*****

Going to Iron Man 2 tonight. Cool, that leaves me 10 minutes.

Right, so let me tell you about Friday. Friday was the first day I had being bused around. Usually, the bus arrives at 6.40 am, to leave at 7.00 am. Naturally, I got there at 6.40. The bus did not.

We spent the next hour-and-a-half waiting at the Dairy Busbay for the bus, until at 8.10, we got into the Senior Comm and started watching cartoons. Then at 8.30, they couldn't supervise us any longer, so sent us to the Day School. Realising that they couldn't supervise us there, they sent us to class at 8.40. English, which was useful, but still. At the end of Period 1 - 9.55 in the morning, we heard news that the bus was 10 minutes away. 20 minutes later, we caught the bus - 3 hours later.

What had happened was the bus had apparently come here at the standard time, found nobody here, and then buggered off back home again. Since we were, y'know, there, I don't know what they could have complained about. The funniest part of the whole debacle was when we got to Lithgow for the transfer off the Dubbo Bus and onto the Mudgee bus, and found our faithful bus-driver still waiting for us, as we arrived 3 hours late. Now that's reliability. Reliability that Hopkinsons needs to learn.

g2g bai

No comments:

Post a Comment