A few weeks ago, I posted this. Then Chewy replied, and I posted this. Then he replied to that and I sat on my arse for a few weeks being busy and lazy. So now I will respond to his argument... with a link to somewhere else. Also, a specific response to his "extended demo" argument. And a picture of a cute kitten to break the tension.
If he still even reads this. I can't really be sure. I have found that my mother reads this blog, which means that my readership has finally gotten to the point that it can't fit in a Smart car, but we're not up to the dizzying heights of fitting into a Land Cruiser. We'll get there, don't worry.
1 comment:
Here are some quotes from Shamus's article.
"finding that they garnered an additional sale for every 1,000 pirates they stopped"
Apparantly pirates who cannot play their pirated version either can't afford, or are unwilling to buy the game.
As Shamus says himself "If the 1 in 1,000 number was at all indicative of the rest of the industry, then it would be almost worthless to fight pirates at all. "Perfect DRM" would only result in an additional 0.9% increase in sales. Less than a single percent."
I might ask whats the point? Obviously piracy is barely effecting the lifelihood of those in the industry in eliminating piracy would only result in 0.9% of sales increase. I wonder if that statistic carries on to other games as well.
If this was true, companies are spending far more on attempting to stop pirates then they would gain by stopping them. Its like a store spending hundreds of dollars on secuity to stop one guy from coming in and stealing from the self-replenishing napkin dispenser.
If we have established the monitary side of things, what is left? Some might say that even if you aren't financial hurting the producers, getting a free ride is wrong. I'm confused why the used game market and even borrowing games off others is considered the land of the good while busily imagining horns of the faces of those who pirate.
Heres a test of your moral fibre. A friend bought (insert game here) and you want to play it. CHOOSE THE MOST MORAL OPTION:
A: Ask to borrow the game and return it when you no longer want to play it.
B: Pirate the game and delete it when you no longer want to play it.
C: All of the above
HAha it was a trick question. Each of the options gives zero money to the games industry and the only difference is one is legal and one is not. If you picked C I want to know what is wrong with you, that doesn't even make sense.
Well thats about it. If you do think that borrowing games is wrong, maybe it is kind of dodgy to pirate. It's still not the death of the games industry if those figures are anything to go by. If piracy introduces 10x the number of gamers then if the games cost money, that can only be a good thing for the industry as a whole.
Post a Comment